ENHANCING BANKING SERVICE EFFICIENCY THROUGH MANPOWER DEVELOPMENT IN THE BANKING SECTOR
Efficient service delivery in the banking industry as in deed in every aspect of public service is a function of qualified and well trained personnel. This research project studies the relationship between the quality of service delivery and the training received through the manpower development scheme of Unity Bank, Kaduna branch. The study covers five chapters. The problem of the study is to determine the adequacy of the bank’s manpower development in relation to the need of its staff. Survey research design was adopted for the study. 30 people was chosen as sample size out of the 530 population using simple random sampling techniques. Relevant research questions were formulated and used for gathering of data with its qualitative instrument questionnaire. The survey to the research question have produce a number interested findings. One of the important findings shows that there is a strong relationship between service efficiency and manpower development in Unity bank. The study conclusively discovered that despite the need to achieve competitive advantage through an efficient service delivery Nigeria banking industry especially Unity bank’s manpower development scheme is inadequate in meeting the need for an efficient and professionally sound banking personnel. It is thus recommended that the bank should encourage its staff to pursue other relevant professional course outside the one received in their training schools.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Training and development has become an increasing and necessary tool of personnel and human resources management in any organization. The growth of an organization is likely to be limited more by the quality and number of its personnel than any other factors.
Because of the changing nature of business environment due to modern technology, organizations have to adopt themselves in order to survive and grow up. To achieve this, the need for effective training and development ought to be seriously emphasized, which will create an impartation of new skills, knowledge etc. to an individual, collective workers that will lead to enhancing productivity in an organization (Bala 1996). is of the view that Nigerians are not yet in effective control of the private sector of the economy because of neglect of staff training and development programmes by business organization. To this effect, there is need for training and development for staff to enhance efficiency and productivity. When there is training and development in an organization, it help the organization toward attainment of aims and objectives of the organisation.
Training has been defined by (Onasanya 1999, pg 104) as the systematic development of knowledge, skill, attitude and behavioural pattern required by an individual in order to perform adequately in a given task or job.
Development on the other hand is the broader scope of improvement, growth in abilities, attitude and personal traits. Once is properly trained it will affect on efficiency, morals and it reduce labour turnover and also give one a better knowledge, increase loyalty and environment for the achievement of the pre – set goals.
Furthermore, Novit (2001, pg 26) said training is often thought of as something which occurs in a class room or in an on the job encountered between someone who is teaching and someone who is being thought.
Training and development are very important to any organization that undergoes it and when it is correctly done, it will bring the following benefits to the organization and individuals.
· It can remove performance deficiencies of an employee, which lead to better performance of the employee, and of course the organization will be more effective.
· Training and Development provide for succession. Personnel who are given adequate training and development can easily replace an employee that has been transferred, promoted or discharged.
· It promotes industrial relations. A well training work team is more likely to respond positively to industrial system and discipline.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
The cruel nature of management organization in Nigeria have over the years reflected on their emphasis on high profitability without due consideration of the training and development of the employee that will make this possible. This is readily noticed in the Nigeria banking industry where the employees’ private lives are jeopardized in the course of trying to meet the high demands and targets of the management. Young graduates who are ignorant of what is happening in the banking industry often fall into this trap, and the economy is not helping matters in any way. It’s high time this problem is visited and a lasting solution provided for it in the interest of the nation and the corporate bodies.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The problem facing training and development in enhancing productivity in an organization has been something of great concern.
This research intends to: –
1. To examine the relationship between manpower planning and human resource development
2. To investigate the impact of manpower planning and development on Unity Bank services
3. To appraise manpower training and development practice of Unity Bank
4. To examine the manpower planning of Unity Bank.
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study intends to look at the enhancing banking Service Efficiency through manpower Development and training in Unity Bank Plc. This research intends to cover the Human resource Department, Manpower development and training department of the organisation understudy with specific reference to Unity Bank Plc Independence way, Magadishu Layout main branch, Kaduna central area.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTION
The following research questions have been formulated to guide the study.
1. Is there any relationship between manpower planning and human resource development?
2. Will effective manpower planning and development improve services of Unity Bank?
3. Does a good practice exist in Manpower training and development in Unity Bank?
4. Does Unity Bank actually plan for training and development of their staff?
1.5 SIGNIFICANT OF THE STUDY
The significant of the study is to help imbibe the spirit of training and development in both the private and public organization as an effective to human resources tools to enhance efficiency and productivity in the attainment of aims and objectives of such organizations. It will help the personnel department to prepare its employee for present and future job situations.
There is no research carried out without problems. Therefore the researchers encountered some problems in the course of this research which are as follows:
– Insufficient resource material on this topic posed as challenge at the course of carrying out this project work as no much relevant work is been done on this topic previously
– Time limit set for the completion of this project work is too short as both academic work and examination are been carried out concurrently.
– Respondents are very reluctant in giving useful information regards to questionnaire distributed
Copyright © 2021 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.
This article is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0