This research work talks about Human Relation as a tool on the job Performance of a secretary. The purpose of this study was to determine how good Human Relation is necessary to be possessed by the secretary to enhance productivity in an organization. The sample method used was fifty (50). The instrument used for data collection was the questionnaire. The findings revealed that; the secretary with good human relation skill plays a vital role in the accomplishment of organization goals as well as it success and growth through the secretaries’ interaction with other staff and people. It was also observed that used motivating factors to stimulate people and make them willing to do what is required of them, among others. It was recommended that secretaries should be motivated by their employers to enable them put their very best. It was also recommended that Human Relation as a course should be included in educational curriculum.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Human relation is an act of interaction with one another, which brings about team work in any kinds of organization or set up. Working together is no doubt the best office situation as no man can work in strict isolation to get all what is aim to achieve as Human Relation is centered with people: which is as how one can work with another.
Organization needs a secretary who is indispensable and vast in the aspect of human relation at work and for a secretary to survive and be successful on the job, she has to be able to build and keep good relationship with her superiors, colleagues, subordinate and the general public relating to her in the cause of her study.
Information in organization either originate or passes through the secretary’s desk for one purpose or the other, to achieve this; the secretary should be able to build and keep good relationship that will make for every flow of work revolving round about her.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
At times people fail to realize that good human relation boost the mind, which in turn can lead to the achievement of set goals in an organization. It also leads to effectiveness and efficiency on the part of the secretary resulting to unattainment of set goals of the organization. Lack of better service to be offered to customers as well as the loss of customers patronage of the organizational service.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
This study intends to on the effect of human relation as it enhance job performance of a secretary in an organization. Specifically this study tends to:
1. Determine how good human relation is necessary to be possessed by a secretary to enhance productivity in an organization.
2. Find out whether unique relationship between the secretary and the entire organization.
3. Determine qualities that could aid human relation of a secretary in an organization.
4. Find out whether good human relation can result to attainment of organizational goal.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
The following questions are being formulated to guide the researcher in the cause of his project work.
1. Is good human relation skill necessary to be possessed by a secretary in for the productivity and success of an organization?
2. Is there unique relationship between the secretary and the entire organization?
3. What qualities could aid the human relation of a secretary in an organization?
4. To what extent does human relation result to the attainment of organizational goals?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The project work is of important to:
1. Secretaries as it will help them to function well in the office (Modern office) as they always come into contact with visitors/customers.
2. Organization as it will help them to achieve it and common objectives and goals.
3. Bosses will benefit from the research work as it will help them to achieve it personal goals.
4. Academicians as it will help them in making references.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study is limited to Human Relation as a tool in the job performance of a secretary in an organization. Specifically, the Nigeria Postal Service (NIPOST), Corporate, Headquarters, Abuja.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
a. Goal: it can be said to be a target which an organization is aiming or willing to achieve.
b. Organization: An organization is a group of people groped together to achieve goal.
c. Secretary:the word secretary is derived from a latin word ‘Secretus’ which means keeper of secret. Therefore, a secretary is define as an assistant to an executive possessing mastery of an office skills and ability carry out responsibility without supervision which displays initiation, excise judgment and make decisions within the scope of the authority.
d. Human Relation: this consist largely of impression that one person make upon another.
It entails the ability of a secretary to create willingness and others in the work place, as she is a tool of harmony in the work place.