THE ROLE OF COMMUNITY BANKS IN RURAL DEVELOPMENT
Community banks were established in Nigeria to help remedy the rural development problem that has been facing Nigeria since after world war II.
The fundamental concepts of a community bank is of a selt sustaining financial institution, owned and managed community or group of communities for the purpose of community of group of communities for the purpose of providing credit deposit, banking and other financial services to it members largely on the basis of their self recognition and credit worthiness.
(1) The major finding of this study shows that community banks bring banking services to the community where commercial banks does not exist.
(2) Community bank greatest customers are the low income workers.
(3) That bank also offer other non-banking services notable mass transit transport services on a subsidized rate.
(4) The greatest problem facing community bank is lack of adequate finance.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Title Page II
Approval Page III
Table of Content VIII
1.1 General Introduction 1
1.2 Background of the study 1
1.3 Statement of the Problem 3
1.4 Objective of the study 3
1.5 Significance of the study 4
1.6 Limitation of the study 6
REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
2.1 Introduction 8
2.2 Rural banking scheme in Nigeria 12
2.3 Nature and concept of community banks 12
2.4 Venture bank control measure to community banks 17
2.5 Functions of community banks are folding 20
RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODOLOGY
3.1 Research design 25
3.2 Area of study 25
3.3 Source of study 26
3.4 Method of data presentation 26
3.5 Method of data analysis 27
4.1 Summary of findings 29
5.1 Recommendation 32
5.2 Conclusion 33
This introduction is many concerned with the effort of community banks in rural development which is backwards due to certain problems that hinder them, such as infrastructural facilities, shortage of manpower, problem of security and so on.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The evolution of community banks in Nigeria can be traced to the 1990 budget when the president formally announced the introduction of the programme. It was men for recognition of the peculiarities of the rural communities and the need to monetize and integrate the rural economics into the banking system.
Meanwhile the word community bank, it can be seen as a self sustaining financial institution owned and managed as a community of group of communities for the purpose of crewing deposit, providing credit facilities and other banking a financial services to its members largely on the basis of their self recognition and credit worthness.
Despite that, in July 1990, the community banks implementation committee (CBIC) was set to work out the modalities for the establishment of community banks. Having produced all the necessary documents for the establishment of community banks, the CBIC commissioned a number of community banks to operate before the setting up and inauguration of National Board for Community Banks (NBCB) on July 16, 1991. The NBCB with more executive powers and the responsibility for the overall supervision of community banks, placed the CBIC. The first community bank commenced operation in December, 1990.
A bank licenced under community bank decree shall accept deposit of all type from people including savings and time savings. To receive or collect money on behalf of customers. Providing banking services to people as in giving out loans and after financial facilities.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The statement of the problem were stated as follows.
1. How loan can be made available to rural drivellers or borrowers?
2. how can rural banking system be improved to help in rural development?
3. how to foster community ownership and use of economic assets?
4. how can loan secured other then asking for tangible security like collateral ?
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The objectives makes the researcher to know the role of community banks in rural development. It reveals the following objectives.
1. The promotion of rural development by providing financial and banking services to communities inadequately supplied with such services.
Using our service/resources is LEGAL and IS NOT prohibited.
You are allowed to use the original model papers you will receive in the following ways:
1. As a source for additional understanding of the subject.
2. As a source for ideas for your own research (if properly referenced).
3. For PROPER paraphrasing (see your university definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase)
4. Direct citing (if referenced properly)
Thank you so much for your respect to the authors copyright.