OPPO Reno 8T 5G Review
Time passes, technology evolves, so it was only a matter of time before the OPPO Reno 8T was updated. And the company did not let us down – they left a recognizable design, having worked on hardware, a screen, and cameras. Let's see how the upgrade went.
The smartphone looks beautiful: smooth shapes, glossy frame, cover with mother-of-pearl effect. Only the frame is not made of metal, but of plastic. And this means that the risk of damaging its surface is extremely high because not everyone likes to wear mobile devices in cases. If you turn the novelty upside down, you can see a large block of cameras on a separate “pedestal”. Although what exactly has changed in the cameras, for which they needed additional space, the manufacturer does not say.
- Sunshine Gold. Red faux leather and dull black have been replaced with Sunshine Gold and Midnight Black. A brighter version came to the review. The most correct description of this color is mother-of-pearl, which was coated with a matte finish. And the camera block seems to cast a glossy “shadow”.
- Ergonomics. This solution looks much more interesting than just a gray-black coating, and prints are practically not collected. The ergonomics of the OPPO Reno 8T 5G is not bad, the weight is small for this size. But before buying, it is better to twist the gadget in your hands – just in case.
OPPO Reno 8T 5G has a 6.7-inch AMOLED display with a resolution of, 2412×1080. If you translate this into the usual aspect ratio, it will be 20.1:9. Probably, the “waterfall” intervened and broke the standard value of 20:9. When playing, you feel that the image is stretched. The refresh rate is up to 120 Hz, but there is no support for dynamic change. On the one hand, it’s a pity, but on the other hand, this is an expensive technology that is now only available on flagships. In the budget segment, there can be no choice between adding battery capacity and increasing the cost. Screen:
- Characteristics. But the screen characteristics were a pleasant surprise. Brightness is 950 nits, and the color space is unusually large for a budget model – 100% DCI-P3. It looks excellent, without care, in pink and green tones. And you don’t have to worry about your eyes because the backlight flicker frequency is 2160 Hz. This practically guarantees no problems for people who are sensitive to PWM.
- Frames. The usable display area is 93%, which the manufacturer has achieved by reducing the frames. But perfectionists will not be happy – the thickness of the frames around the perimeter is not the same. The thinnest are the side ones, by 1.57 mm, the upper one increases to 1.81 mm, and the lower one to 2.32 mm. But I would like to point out that the desire for such elegance does not always have a positive effect on ease of use. And coupled with a waterfall screen, it can generally make operation uncomfortable.
- DT-Star2. The situation during testing was discharged by a complete case with a high side. However, what are people to do? Who dislike cases? After all, waterfalls survive falling screens much worse than their flat brothers, and you won’t find high-quality glasses or films on them during the day with fire. Perhaps the problem will be resolved by DT-Star2 – glass for the front panel. It is known that it was tested in 23 strength tests according to 5 different criteria. This, of course, inspires confidence, but still – it's better not to drop the device on the asphalt once again.
- Stereo sound. Two speakers are responsible for the soundtrack, conversational and end. Their location cannot be called successful, since during the game in a horizontal position, the side speaker can be closed. The sound turned out without any complaints, but OPPO decided to increase the volume with a technology that increases it by another 100%, so the adjustment scale goes up to 200 on the screen. Subjectively, the effect of this solution is not as strong as a drop in quality.
The OPPO Reno 8T 5G is based on the time-tested Qualcomm Snapdragon 695. Despite the conditional budget model, this platform is enough for smooth animations and fast launch of any applications. The Adreno 619 video chip is responsible for the graphics. The solution is not a flagship one, but even with it in Call Of Duty: Mobile, we get 60 fps at medium settings. So, there is a reserve for several years. Performance:
8 GB of LDDR4X RAM is the gold standard today, and is quite sufficient for quiet work. Applications in memory hold tenaciously. And for those who want to increase the volume, there is the addition of virtual memory. Its size can vary from 4 to 8 GB. True, during the test, this function was disabled as unnecessary. The internal memory in the tested sample is 256 GB, there is also a 128 GB version. If this is not enough for you, a microSD slot with support for cards up to 1 TB will help out.
OPPO Reno 8T 5G runs on Android OS 13 with ColorOS shell. Those who uses smartphones of the BBK holding (except that Realme is still holding on), she is well known. We'll tell the rest of you in more detail. Changes compared to the stock OS here are a wagon and a trolley – almost everything can be customized. Icons, inscriptions, the location of applications, what will be on the desktop and lock screen – here is just a small part of the list. A lot of pre-installed software, no need to download anything, everything is ready to work out of the box.
There are three cameras on the back side: the main one for determining the depth of the frame and the super macro. Let's start with the last one. It allows you to shoot objects so small that OPPO calls this mode “Microscope”. It didn’t work out to see plant cells during testing, but it turned out to feel like a cameraman for a BBC documentary about the micro world. Only the resolution leaves much to be desired, and the backlight from the side can light up objects. For better photo quality, I would like a ring lamp around the lens, but the mode, strictly speaking, is still more for entertainment.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to determine exactly what kind of module the main camera has, since the manufacturer has erased the information. It remains to be content only with the resolution, aperture, and matrix size – 108 MP, f/1.7, 1/1.67“. But under normal conditions, we get 12 MP frames. Support for optical stabilization is not announced. Prices White balance is determined correctly, shooting takes place almost instantly. But at night the situation worsens – everything is a bit noisy, but I'm glad that the detail remains at an acceptable level. Of the frank disadvantages, it can be noted that moving objects are blurred. However, the gadget cannot be praised for video shooting because the maximum resolution of the videos is 1080p at 30fps.
Autonomy can be called one of the strengths of the novelty. The combination of a 4800 mAh battery and economical hardware works wonders. During testing, the device worked quietly until the evening and 25-35 percent of the energy remained stable. View YouTube via Wi-Fi, and the mobile network ate 4% of the charge in an hour. An hour of filming spent 20%, as did the same time spent playing Call of Duty: Mobile. And when the battery runs out completely, fast charging helps out: in 7 minutes it restores 25%, in 18 minutes – 50%, and in 46 minutes – all one hundred. True, it is not clear why make such a powerful 67 W charger if it is used only to replenish the first 25% of the battery, and then pumps only 40W.
- Up to 25 hours of video playback;
- Up to 32 hours in mixed mode;